The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 460 staff from 44 countries.
Look at the BSC experience:
Context and Mission
The aim of the Earth System Services Group (ESS) within the Earth Sciences Department is to research the impact of weather, atmospheric chemistry and climate upon socio-economic sectors such as renewable energy, agriculture and urban development and demonstrate the ongoing value of earth system services to society and the economy.
In this contest, we are looking for a climate scientist with interest in climate services to work with both renewable energy and agriculture sectors.
The person appointed will be involved in the EU and national-funded projects such as the New European Wind Atlas project (NEWA) and Horizon 2020 projects (VISCA and IMPREX). His/her activity will be positioned within the context of WMO’s Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS). The aim of such projects and the GFCS is to advance climate predictions to provide actionable sub-seasonal to decadal climate information to key sectors of society. This position therefore presents the opportunity to work alongside a wide range of leading, international climate scientists delivering cutting-edge climate science and climate services across Europe. The incumbent will enjoy joining one of the leading and most dynamic European groups in the field of climate prediction for climate services.
Successful candidates will benefit from expert training and BSC-CNS staff benefits: international multidisciplinary scientific environment and advanced applied research training. We encourage applications from highly motivated candidates with demonstrated experience in climate science and interest in applied research projects within the context of climate services.
- Perform user-oriented research, understand user needs and facilitate technology transfer
- Perform statistical data analysis and disseminate the results in peer-reviewed scientific papers and international conferences
- Actively participate in the management of work packages in EU projects (participate in teleconferences, workshops, meetings and writing deliverables)
- Interact with scientists in the group and the department to favor synergies
- Apply for competitive grants and projects
- PhD in atmospheric sciences, applied statistics or related field
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience handling, analyzing and validating large climate model datasets
- Experience with climatic statistical analyses
- Proficiency in scientific programming in a suitable language (e.g. R, Python, Matlab) and familiarity with working in a UNIX environment
- Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience working with seasonal climate predictions or climate change projections
- Experience in developing tailored indicators to specific sectors, such as energy or agriculture
- Knowledge of tropical/extratropical teleconnections (ENSO, NAO, EA, EATL/WRUS, SCAND, MOI)
- Experience in energy or agriculture companies and consultancy companies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, especially for scientific publications
- Ability to work in a professional environment within a multidisciplinary and international team
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- The position will be located at BSC within the Operations Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, flexible hours, Tickets Restaurant and a medical assurance
- Duration of the contract: 1 year
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter
- A full CV including contact details
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.