The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 460 staff from 44 countries.
Look at the BSC experience:
Context and Mission
The aim of the Earth System Services Group (ESS) within the Earth Sciences Department is to demonstrate the ongoing value of climate prediction services, atmospheric composition and weather forecasting to society and the economy. The group actively works in identifying user needs that partly guide research in the Department. The goal is to quantify the impact of weather, climate, aerosols and gaseous pollutants upon socio-economic sectors through the development of user-oriented services. This ensures the transfer of the technology developed and the adaptation to a rapidly changing environment.
The Earth System Services Group has an interdisciplinary approach closely collaborating with all research groups within the department (Climate predictions, Atmospheric compositions and Computational Earth Sciences) and support groups at the BSC (technology transfer, communications, visualization, education and outreach).
The ESS group is looking for a knowledge transfer officer from any nationality to carry out user-engagement tasks to understand user needs and foster the creation of tailored services to bridge the gap between science and its end users in key sectors of society (energy, agriculture and urban development). The candidate will be part of EU funded projects in the cutting-edge area of climate services for renewable energies, agriculture and insurance. Successful candidates will benefit from expert training and BSC-CNS staff benefits: international multidisciplinary scientific environment and advanced applied research training.
We encourage applications from highly motivated candidates with experience on environmental economics to foster the intersection of economics, environmental science and services. Special interest in user-engagement processes and knowledge and technology transfer will be also valued.
- Actively participate in the management of Work packages in EU projects (organize teleconferences, prepare meeting minutes, organize tasks and prepare deliverable reports)
- Conduct interviews, workshops, and other user-engagement activities to understand user needs regarding climate and air quality services
- Write reports documenting the user-engagement activities with industrial stakeholders and follow up users' feedbacks and needs raised in meetings and workshops
- Work in the assessment of the economic value of market and non-market climate services, cost-effectiveness analysis of using climate services, etc
- Contribute to Knowledge Transfer creating technical leaflets, brochures and reports adapted to different sectors to provide end users with information on how to include the climate services created in the department in their decision making processes
- Carry out user-engagement and dissemination tasks within EU funded projects (PRIMAVERA, IMPREX, APPLICATE, etc.)
- Contribute to the design and development of operational services, user interfaces and visual prototypes in the field of climate and air quality services
- Technical or social sciences degree (Economics, Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Environmental Studies, Biology, etc.)
- Postgraduate studies on Knowledge and Technology Transfer, economics or communication will be valued
- Other backgrounds are accepted if the candidate can demonstrate previous experience in project management or knowledge and technology transfer
- Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Previous experience in environmental economics
- Candidates with experience in climate, air quality, energy sector or agriculture
- Participation in national or international projects
- Previous experience in user-engagement activities, stakeholder liaison and science knowledge transfer
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to work in a professional environment within a multidisciplinary and international team
- Good organizational skills and interest in project and team management issues
- The position will be located at BSC within the BSC-ES department under the supervision of the Communication specialist of the department
- The contract will be for 12 months with possibility of contract renewal depending on the candidate’s performance
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, flexible hours, Tickets Restaurant and a medical assurance
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter
- A full CV including contact details
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.