Created in 2001, the Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies (ICREA) is a foundation supported by the Government of Catalonia and governed by a Board of Trustees. Its aim is to promote research in any field of knowledge, facilitating the consolidation of collective research and the retention of talented research staff within the Catalan university and research centre system. ICREA, through a selection process based on scientific talent, hires senior scientists from around the world to work in and cooperate with local universities and research centres. BSC-CNS is proud to host 6 ICREA professors.
- Francisco J. Doblas-Reyes - BSC Earth Sciences Department Director
- Vassil Nikolov Alexandrov - Extreme Computing Group Manager
- Mario Nemirovsky - Unconventional Computer Architecture and Networks Group Manager
- David Torrents Arenales - Computational Genomics Group Manager
- Víctor Guallar Tasies - Electronic and Atomic Protein Modelling Group Manager
- Mervi Johanna Mantsinen - Fusion Senior Researcher
The mission of the European Research Council (ERC) is to encourage high quality research in Europe through competitive funding and to support investigator-driven frontier research across all fields, on the basis of scientific excellence. Being 'investigator-driven', or 'bottom-up', in nature, the ERC approach allows researchers to identify new opportunities and directions in any field of research, rather than being led by priorities set by politicians. This ensures that funds are channelled into new and promising areas of research with a greater degree of flexibility. ERC grants are generally considered to be Europe’s most prestigious research awards.
BSC has been awarded six ERC projects:
- Riding on Moore's Law (RoMoL) is the advanced ERC grant awarded to BSC’s director Mateo Valero
- Holistic Integration of Emerging Supercomputing Technologies (Hi-EST) is an ERC starting grant awarded to David Carrera
- Best Curved Adapted Meshes for Space-Time Flow Simulations (Tesseract) is an ERC Starting Grant awarded to Xevi Roca
- Production and Distribution of Food during the Roman Empire: Economics and Political Dynamics (EPNet) is an advanced ERC grant awarded to José Remesal Rodríguez of The University of Barcelona and in which BSC plays an important role
- P.E.L.E (Protein Energy Landscape Exploration): a la carte drug design tools is an ERC advanced grant which was awarded to Víctor Guallar. This project has been completed
- Drug eDesign: Building the next generation of software solutions for drug design (eDrug) is an ERC proof of concept grant awarded to Víctor Guallar. This project has been completed